I have a confession: I have never read any of the Harry Potter books, nor have I seen any of the Harry Potter movies.
Let’s back up and start here:
(a conversation between myself and Bucking the Wave‘s, Spitfire, between 3:03 and 3:13 this afternoon)
Spitfire: when are you going to HP?
me: Don’t kill me, but I think I should catch the first five
Spitfire: SHUT. UP.
me: I know! For shame, for shame…
Spitfire: have you at least read the books? how have you not seen harry fucking potter?????
me: Not seen, not read
Spitfire: i think i’m revoking your junkie card!!!! even though you invented the thing. I’M IN SHCOK.
I CAN’T EVEN SPELL
Spitfire: i’m still trying to understand how this could be possible and i’m coming up blank. you hate wizards?
me: No…I just missed the boat…for many years. so, I guess I missed several boats
I’ve been to Oxford and seen where they filmed it, though. Can I have half a point for that?
Spitfire: GET ON THE BOAT!!!!!! THERE’S STILL TIME!!!! OMFG!!!!!!@
you haven’t read the book but you’ve been to where they’ve filmed it. my brain just imploded by the injustice of it all!
you get 1/2 a point for sure.
me: I hate to leave you in such a state, but I have to run…If you want you can write a 5 word “WTF, Junkie1″ post today
Spitfire: it would take way more than 5 words.
Apparently, it took 10 words, and here is what I got:
Spitfire: HOLY SHIT J1. WHAT GIVES????? FORGET *QUINTOVENTION— TIME FOR *POTTER-VENTION!!!
Allow me to explain myself… ::crickets:: … Okay. I admit it. I have no excuse for the fact that this is the pinnacle of my Harry Potter exposure:
If you were to tell me today “Hey did you hear about that new book–it’s a coming of age story set in a wizardry school?” I’d say “Of course, I am Junkie numero uno, and I am SO there!” I guess I wrote it off as something for kiddies in the beginning and never looked back–I did the same thing for Twilight initially, too. I took the leap for the vamps (and loved it), so why not do the same for the wizards?
Here are my top five reasons for finally getting on the *broomwagon:
- Books! Reading is always welcome in my *addictosphere, and I have it on good authority that Ms. Rowling could mop the floor with SMeyer. (Source: Stephen King)
- Movies! How could I have abstained for so long knowing full well that three of my favorite crazies were in the cast (Helena Bonham-Carter, Alan Rickman, and Ralph Fiennes)?!
- Quality! The writing is good, the film directors are superb, the characters actually develop (both on the page and on screen). I hear all of the necessary elements are there. It’s supposed to be a win/win
- Whimsy! Ron Weasley. Hermione Granger. Albus Dumbledore. The names alone are enough to make me want to see/read. I think those in particular would be great mates for Chester Abernathy (my alter ego). AND they are wizards?! Wee!
- Fear of Death! Harry Potter fans make Twihards look like a ragtag bunch of pussies. ::cowering:: I’ll read and watch, you guys. I promise!
Without spilling all of the enchanted beans, what are your top reasons for A) why I suck and/or B) why I should be excited to get into the saga?
See one of these: * (that means the definitions are or soon will be up in the Junktionary)