8:30 March 27, 2010
Don’t be here or expect a leer (okay so it’s a lame rhyme but it’s for a good cause).
If movies, books, and tv have taught me anything, it’s that you can do lots of things with no power whether you’re in the past or the post-apocalyptic future (I suppose they also taught me that lighting things on fire is fun, too). If Elizabeth Bennett could write letters, dance, romance, and kill the undead without impacting the planet in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies then so can I (…wait).
So unplug, call up your friends, and try one of the following:
- Reenact your favorite movies (a la Christian Bale and Gerard Butler’s Star Wars by candlelight in Reign of Fire)
- Make some art (origami! finger paints! light painting!)
- Play a board game
- Acapella karaoke!
- Have a night picnic/in-the-dark dinner party (Kristen Bell & Josh Duhamel’s night vision dinner was about the only good thing in When in Rome)
- Do some stargazing
- Outdoor night games (tag! hide and seek!)
- Have a bonfire complete with S’mores
- Throw a rave/silent disco…think it might be hard to rave without club music blaring? Then you don’t know the majesty of glowsticks and individuals rocking out to their iPods (with headphones on).
- Get a little tipsy and do all of the above
Hate people? Light a candle and:
- Read a book
- Write a letter
- Take a nap
- Take a bath (just fill up the tub before 8:30)
- Eat some candy
- Drink a bottle of wine
- Go on a walk
- Stare into the nothingness and weep
- Walk around your house/apartment in the buff
What are you going to do for Earth Hour? (I think we should all be overacheivers and make it an Earth Night.)